Sunday, September 30, 2012

Spooky Halloween Mantel

So happy that it's finally Halloween time! Today I am sharing my attempt at a spooky mantel. I don't think it's too bad for a first try!


I normally never decorate the mantel for Halloween. My decorations usually clash with the picture that is hanging above it and it ends up looking sad. Here's the non-spooky picture: 


So...I came up with an idea to cover it up. It was super quick and did not cost a thing. Here's how!

I found an old crumply piece of packing paper in an old box. I smoothed it out as best as I could and cut it to the size of the picture hanging above my mantel.


I knew I was going for a landscape and that I wanted a moon, so I drew one on a scrap of paper, cut it out, and...


taped it where I wanted it on the paper.


Then I took it outside and spray painted the paper with paint that I already had on hand. 

   

I used light sprays, moving my arm at all times. I wanted it to be darker on the bottom and lighter on the top so I slowly kept adding paint until I was happy with it. 


After drying, remove the taped paper to reveal the moon. 


I used clear tape to attach the piece of paper right onto the glass of the framed picture. 

Viola! Much spookier than the cheerful flowers. 


Next up was to start adding the spooky stuff! Trees! 


Then it spiraled from there. Candles, torn fabric, pumpkins, birds, and spooky books that I made quickly made. I kept playing around with the placement of everything until it drove me nuts and I called it quits!  


Close-up of the books:


I used brown wrapping paper and packing paper to cover normal, hard cover books. I used ink from a stamp pad to make them look old, then used a Sharpie to write names on the spine. 





There you go, my Spooky Halloween Mantel. Hope you enjoyed it and that it will give you a bit of inspiration for yours!


I'm linking up with the following parties this week:


Becolorful














Tip Junkie handmade projectsTodays Creative Blog






Tidy MomPhotobucket
Photobucket
apinchofjoy.com




button









 

 Photobucket
Thirty Handmade Days

11 Responses to “Spooky Halloween Mantel”

  1. Super Cute!!! Your taper candle sticks......I HAVE THOSE too...Did they come in a set of three different heights? Very Spooky..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo Scary..... I don't have one Halloween decoration out...not one! Guess it's that time again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:47 PM

    looking good Charisa Dee!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charity, you've been too busy with Stella & Dot! Get the Spooky Stuff out!

    Thanks Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great - I love those trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great!! I love the books! I'm working on my mantle now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spooky and GORGEOUS! Love how it turned out! Thanks for linking at Printabelle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great job you did with the mantle, very classy! Love your resourcefulness with covering the painting, very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you adapted your picture!! It looks spooktacular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some serious mantel envy going on here. :D and may have to copy that art work. Thanks for linking up to BeColorful so I could feature your post on this week's Motivated Monday
    p

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © Charisa Darling | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs