Sunday, February 15, 2009

Butternut Squash, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Pasta



This is one of my favorites. Cutting the squash is a bitch, but it's well worth it in the end. This recipe is from the Real Simple December 2004/January 2005 issue.

6 slices bacon (I tend to use turkey bacon, but whatever)
1 butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and diced, 4-5 cups
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1.5 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 lb. cooked linguine (I've used spaghetti and even penne - the squash won't mind if you don't)
1 tsp. olive oil
black pepper

Cook your bacon. If you use real bacon, leave 2 tbsp. of the grease in the pan. Turkey bacon won't leave much grease, so just add some olive oil to your skillet for the next step. Crumble or cut the bacon and put aside. Add the squash and the garlic to the skillet and saute over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir in broth and salt. Cover and let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Mine always cooks a little faster, when it's soft, it's done.) Add half of the goat cheese and stir well to combine. Add mixture to cooked pasta and toss to coat. Drizzle with olive oil and add bacon, remaining goat cheese, and pepper. Enjoy.

I'm not joking about cutting the squash. If you're not careful you could lose a digit. I wear gloves which makes the task even more tricky. Not because I'm going for extra difficulty points, but for the stickiness. I've cut a ton of squash, but one left my hands sticky for days, so I error on the side of caution.

2 Responses to “Butternut Squash, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Pasta”

  1. I was JUST on epicurious looking for a good butternut squash recipe and nothing sounded good enough to cut that beast of a squash up BUT this recipe does. I know what's for dinner!! thanks, Kease!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:03 PM

    no wonder vance isn't eating. Give the kid a hotdog and Cheetos!

    the mayor

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © Charisa Darling | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs