Monday, June 15, 2009

California Roasted Veggie Sandwiches

photo taken from allrecipes.com

Ok. The photo doesn't make these sandwiches look good. I made these sandwiches last week. I first saw them here. (She's fabulous, lives near Hollywood, and plans on taking these sandwiches to the Hollywood Bowl, picnic style. I assembled the sandwiches while Vaughn was yanking on my pants and crying. Justin and I took turns holding cranky Vaughnie while the other inhaled their sandwich. Same diff, right?) She changed the recipe a bit, but the original recipe is from allrecipes.com. I followed Morgan's recipe, not the original recipe, but after making them I'd try using the sourdough bread instead of french bread. Totally confused yet? Hang with me.

Here's what you need:

1/4 cup mayo
3 cloves garlic, minced (I didn't measure, but think I used less than 3 cloves)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 sliced red bell pepper (Could have used more peppers)
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 red onion, sliced (I didn't use onion, but will next time)
1 small yellow squash, sliced
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 french baguette, or sourdough, maybe even ciabatta bread
1 pkg. feta, can be plain or flavored
chopped basil, if you want

Here's what you do:

Pre-heat oven to 375
Mix mayo, garlic, and lemon juice and set aside in fridge.
Combine sliced veggies, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and transfer to cookie sheet.
Bake for 15-25 minutes until tender.
Turn on broiler. Broil on high for 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven.
Slice bread, spread mayo mixture on both sides of bread, and top with feta. Here's where you can add basil.
Broil for 2-4 minutes.
Top one side with veggies and top with other side of bread.

Click on Morgan's site for step by step pictures.

Here's what I think:

I was nervous after seeing the veggies come out of the oven. They looked mushy. I had serious doubts about this sandwich, but everything came together. The french bread that I used was too crunchy and hard to bite through. Next time I'll try the sourdough or ciabatta bread. We really enjoyed them, cranky child and all.


3 Responses to “California Roasted Veggie Sandwiches”

  1. Anonymous7:27 AM

    no meat? Brutal. Poor Justin.

    The Mayor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it sounds delicious. I have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delish. Try using the french bread from Panera. Theirs is not as chewy as the french bread from Companion or LaBrea. Sourdough=Acid Reflux!!

    I saw Vaughn with Meme this weekend. She is sooo beautiful and looks just like you. We find out today what Nicole and Eric are having. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © Charisa Darling | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs