Monday, March 08, 2010

Quinoa: Rhymes with Meemaw

Quinoa. Love it, but have never made it myself...until now.

Here's some background info: It's considered a super food, packs the most protein of any of its grain friends, and the Mayans referred to it as gold. It's pronounced keen-wah. The list is pretty much endless on what you can add to it, this is what I did for my first attempt:


Saute 10-15 minutes or until Vance says, "Mommy, it's gettin brown!"


This is what mine looked like after. I did this early in the day to get it out of the way. Dinnertime is crazy enough as it is. The more prepping I can do beforehand, the better.

Justin and I liked it. The kids, notsomuch. I think it was the brown mushrooms that scared them. (Whoever says letting kids help in the kitchen will make them better eaters is nuts. Vance always has enjoyed helping me cook and he won't eat anything. I'm sure it's just a phase.)

I tried my best to get a good "after" shot. Quinoa isn't the prettiest food, so don't let this picture deter you from making it. I had what was left of it for lunch today and believe it tasted better than last night. Go ahead and Google it, there's a million recipes out there.


10 Responses to “Quinoa: Rhymes with Meemaw”

  1. YUM!!!
    this is my favorite quinoa recipe -
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/565
    I didnt have the acorn squash so I steamed butternut squash and tossed it in at the end. delish!!
    i made your taco soup - tasty!! family hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:33 AM

    i think i agree with Vance. No meat? ugh...

    the mayor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had it.

    A couple of years ago I had an enormous amount of tests to see what food allergies I have (the idea is then to stay away from those foods so that you feel physically better...neither has happened).

    They say that I am allergic to Quinoa...even though I've never put it in my mouth. weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I love Quinoa. Samuel wasn't too excited about eating it either. I try to mix it with other things to hide it, but still Samuel isn't the biggest fan. Your dinner looks yummy though. I will have to try that soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! This is one of those things I've always wanted to make but have never tried. Now, if you could just find me a good recipe for the bulgar wheat that has been sitting in my pantry waiting for some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:49 AM

    I bought Quinoa at least two months ago and don't know what to do with it! It's not cheap, either!

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this as a side, it's hard to get Vance to eat meat even when in nugget form, and finished what was left over yesterday for lunch. I'm surprised that it never got gummy or anything like that because I almost threw out the leftovers.

    Next time I think I'll make a cold version, like a pasta salad. Have seen so many good looking recipes out there.

    Lori, try it out! It's easy to do and fast, mine took about 12 minutes to cook. It basically is just like rice or orzo.

    Krista, I have something you can try with bulgar wheat if you're really interested - are you following comments?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, Krista, I came across a recipe that sounded good, but I can't find it. This is a reason to cut down on how many blogs I read - I can't keep them all straight! If I find it again, or another one, I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © Charisa Darling | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs